blindshots

Photos, impressions, weird thoughts and life in general.

Mittwoch, Juni 07, 2006

tracks , plugs and miles for more - Rock im Park 2006 - Part 2

-> Star FM (again, great mix of music !)

still Saturday, 3rd of June, 2006 - center stage
After our odyssey of walking Oli and I decided to stay at the center stage where some "kick-ass" (in it's truest sense) bands where waiting to be seen.
I totally enjoyed myself when a guy popped up who stared at Luzies injured finger (as probably 100 other people did this weekend) and introduced himself as a double. Sometimes I feel embarrassed to even like this guys song but hey : We all got our dark past. Some more, some less. ;)


The sexiest David Hasselhoff double on this festival *gg*

The time flew and while Mike and Luzie walked off to see "Kaizers Orchestra" we had the pleasure to see the latest hit band from Japan : "Dir en grey". Lets say it was : WEIRD ! And in a really weird sense. The singer Kyo looked like he was facing an exorcist right on stage, while the rest of the band looked preoccupied in nothing. And if that wasn't enough he thought he needed to spice up his performance with a self-destructing action.


Kyo (Dir en grey)

I had a good laugh when he looked into the crowd like they had spiders on their heads. And besides that, lets not forget what they played : A mix of industrial, death metal and hard rock. In japanese, of course. Now I know how a bad trip could feel like.
comes with ByteThumb  V 1.4 © Byteandi

Later on, some true old school guys were waiting to rock the stage : "Deftones".
The band played some well known songs but didn't get it to really to elate me.
Anyway, good groove and well played as expected.



Chino Moreno (Deftones)

But now I got curious, cause no one else but "Korn" were up next. After a long waiting period they appeared on stage with some strange guys in with horse and rabbit masks who sang background vocals and played synthies. Jonathan Davis felt the need of taking a shot of a oxygen machine after every song. But that's nothing special for a Korn gig and somehow everyone was fine with because all hits were delivered. "make me bad" , "freak on a leash", the latest single "twisted transistor" and the all-time classic "Shoots and ladders" which made everyone freak out (including me)




Jonathan Davis (Korn) with bagpipe at "shoots and ladders"

Afterwards "Tool" followed. But I tell you something : In all my time of listening and seeing music I've never been so disappointed about a band than on that evening.
Pubertal sentences like "Are you wet ?" after a short period of rain and a not recognisable singer . Plus for the guitar player wearing a germany football shirt and the good musical set-up, but I was simply bored. And I even don't know why, because I love Tool and Maynards side project "a perfect circle". Anyway, switch to the "club stage" which we entered to see "Dredg", but we were too early and I really enjoyed "Art Brut" who made the audience go wild with songs like "We formed a band", "Moving to L.A.", "Good Weekend" and "Emily K.". Well, actually the whole record is a hit although not everybody liked them. But I did.
Next band : "Dredg". Do I need to add anything to this band ? One word : Wonderful.


Mark Engles (Dredg) - afterwards my battery decided to fail :(

End of Day 2.

Sunday, 4th of June 2006
Today we decided to go earlier to the festival terrain, because Mike was keen to see "animal alpha" play at the club stage. They didn't rock my socks, but played solid rock music with a nice singer. She reminded me of Sandra Nasic of the "Guano Apes" and that's no bad reference.
I knew that my new personal heros "The Dresden Dolls" would play on the "Alternastage" in about an hour, so we left immediately after the gig of "Alexisonfire", who battled with some technical issues.
We were too early, but in this case it wasn't bad at all. Let me introduce : the discovery of the festival - Jason Mraz.


Jason Mraz ( middle ) and band

Totally acoustic set, cover of "rocketman" from Elton John, very well-sung two and three voices with the percussionist and the bass player. Three thumbs up ! :D

Third on this afternoon, but not less good : "The Dresden Dolls". :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Amanda Palmer and Brian DiViglione (The Dresden Dolls)

They played such songs as "coin-operated boy" and "half-jack", but also new stuff like "backstabber". Priceless. Catch them everywhere you're able to. I just love their way of interpretating music and lyrics. The definite highlight was a cover of the german 80s hit "Eisbär", sung in GERMAN by Amanda ! And she told us in german, she isn't sure if Pete Doherty even will be here (the "babyshambles" were up next). Funny, exciting, sympathic ! Three and a half thumb up ! :D

"There can't be anything better" I thought and dashed off to the "center stage" to see "The Darkness", THE fun-80s-Glamrock Sensation of the last years. I almost laughed my ass off when Justin Hawkins overpitched his voice to catch the REAL high notes. And the band did a kinda running gag when they played intros of several AC/DC songs. The crowd went nuts when they really played "highway to hell", sung by bass player Richie Edwards who is a new member of the band after former bass player Francis Poullain left. Very good, funny and entertaining. They definitely know how to make people go crazy. If my camera works I will post some pics of the gig here.

Highlight of the evening and the whole festival : "Metallica".
I never expected them to be such ass-kicking, professional and nice guys as they were on that night. Playing all classics from the LP "master of puppets" and some evergreens like "fuel", "sad but true", "seek and destroy", "wherever I may roam", "nothing else matters", "so fucking what?" and "one".
I also have pictures of that highlight and James Hetfields incredible old beard. ;) Sadly they're on that part of the disk that didn't work. Will post them as soon as possible.

Summing up the weekend I'd shoot with the following words :

*aching feet*earplugs*x-box ;)* dear friends* food* injured fingers* tracks * classics* photos * weed (because strangely there was always someone smoking pot next to me ! I fucking don't know why !) * blue eyes * elegy * melody * guitars* scream * only next year with less miles to go ;)

Thank you again, Mike. Because of your hospitality, the guitar playing, the cooking, the car crashing and the companionship with your incredible funny sister you made the weekend something to remember and for a long time. :)
Feel tightly hugged !

And the best thing is : SOUTHSIDE IS ONLY 2 WEEKS AWAY ! :D ;)

Have a nice evening *
murmel

1 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger silent_genius said…

    Looks like you had a real good time :)

    Let's hope Southside turns out as good, at least.

    /computer-less mel who ordered herself a new car today ^^

     

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home