blindshots

Photos, impressions, weird thoughts and life in general.

Dienstag, Juni 06, 2006

tracks , plugs and miles for more - Rock im Park 2006 - Part 1

--> Star FM ( http://www.starfm.de )

Back from THE festival in the southern hemisphere I'm trashed, rocked and buzzed from the music that hammered in my ears for 3 days. But lets not anticipate everything. This is the first part. Second will follow.

Friday, 2nd of June 2006 , 4:15 pm
After arriving at the central station of Nuremberg I was quite unsure where to go. But hey ! THERE ! Dozens of people with backpacks, food and broad smiles on their faces ! Rock im Park can't be far away ! So I followed (which isn't one of my favourite activities as some people might know ;) and arrived at the huuuge festival terrain. It seemed like a refugee camp. From everywhere people came, drunk and sober in a quite 50/50 proportion. *gg*
I wasn't happy about the fact that I had to carry ALL my stuff (which weighed something about 10 kilos [20 pounds for the guys without the metric system] ) to the festival and back. But at least I had the opportunity to sleep at my dear friend's Mike place. :) So : No camping in the freezing cold. At least something good.
After leaving my shtuff at one of the baggage service stations (Good idea. And 1,50 € is fair for one piece of baggage) I met Mike right before the


"center stage"

which is the stage where the "big" bands play. My watch said 5:15pm when I saw the bright shining logo of "Franz Ferdinand" at the center stage. 15 minutes later groovy chords halled through the park and the band appeared on stage with sun glasses. In the meanwhile I got to know Mikes sister Luzie and some of his working mates. Little "saying-hi-session", having snacks, spilling beer over jackets ;) and dancing to the wonderful "do you want to" after I felt the need to leave the guys to see "Anouk". I just love her voice and her music and was thankful for the opportunity to see her in Germany.
So I started to my way to the "club stage" which was a little tent with a capacity of 2.000 people. What I didn't know was the fact that the stages were farer away because of the world cup that will take place also in Nuremberg in a few days.
The end result was a 2 kilometers [1.24 miles] walk through the whole festival ground with aching feet and the slight feeling of panic because I was VERY late. And that's not good if you're familiar with the fact that some bands just play 30 minutes at a festival. :s
I started to hate football even more after asking my way through tent villages, broken beer bottles and kissing couples just to find out I was wrong again. So I called Oli, an old music fellow of mine who was also there to see Anouk and he led me to the club stage.
The good news : I was right on time ! :)



[check out http://www.fotoseite.net for more photos]

And there she was. Bombastic, strong, cheerful and funny. With a fantastic band in the back she rocked out and played many songs of the new album "hotel new york", but also "nobody's wife" which made hell break loose within the circa 200 viewers. Three thumbs up ! :D

But Oli and I weren't able to celebrate our enthusiasm, cause Placebo was next on the center stage. So, what does that mean ? YESH PEOPLE ! AAAALL the way back to the center stage! *sigh*
But hey : It's Placebo. So we almost ran the whole way when hearing the first notes of "post blue" from far away, one of my favourites of the new LP.
Many new songs but also classics like "every you, every me" and "20 years" were played and you could see Brian Molkos enthusiasm when the crowd started to sing along.
Stunning. Although I was more fascinated by the girl behind me who cried her eyes out. And I even don't know why but I couldn't help but stare at her. The music of Placebo and her sad blue eyes just fitted perfectly together. Strange.

Then, the highlight of the day (which made some people really jealous)


Depeche Mode

Phenomenal light effects and a supertight playing band with one of the greatest singers of all time : Dave Gahan. They were more in for the old stuff and played evergreens like "enjoy the silence", "personal jesus", "behind the wheel" and "stripped". A true headliner, even metal fans began to scream when Dave sang "reach out and touch faith!". Cool !

I was happy and absolutely satisfied with the day. But also VERY tired. But bad news for my feet : I needed to go back to the "club stage" to meet with Mike and Luzie. At least I knew where to go. *laugh*
When arriving I catched a few songs of "Goldfrapp" and was glad I had my earplugs with me. To be honest : They didn't catch my attention at all. No doubt that Alison Goldfrapp is a very elegant and sexy woman but their music isn't appealing to me. I thought it would change, because they've been the support for Coldplay last year and sucked, but if not - then not. I missed "Phoenix" because of my backpack I needed to pick up at Oli's tent but in the end I was just happy when we started to go towards Mikes flat and I fell dead into my bed.

Saturday, 3rd of June 2006
I was more than glad to wake up in a flat than in a tent. Because the weather wasn't looking like summer at all. And being in a tent in THAT night isn't a very good thought. Thank you again for offering me space in your wonderful flat, Mike. :)
We left a little earlier to catch "Stone sour", but still just caught the last song "get inside" which I like a lot, although this kind of music is placed aside from my usual musical taste.
3pm : Alice in chains. Please nod [NOW!] if you're familiar with that name. And yes, it's the guys from the post-grunge era, delivering highly evolved rock music with two voices and a wall of guitars, celebrated by the master himself : Jerry Cantrell.
Sadly, Layne Stayley wasn't there. He left the shocked rock world with only 35 years on the 5th of April 2002. Remember who else died on that date ? Yes, scary.
Today William DuVall (Comes with the Fall) took over the microphone and sang like he would vocally run for his life. And if you close your eyes you feel the magical symbioses of all instruments again. This was one of the best moments in my musical life. Truly. All classics were reanimated and came to life. "them bones", "down in a hole", "rooster" (priceless!), "man in the box", "angry chair". Wonderful. Even if sentences like "Today is a good day to die!" seem a bit macabre to me, but it's Jerry Cantrell, so what ?


[William DuVall and Jerry Cantrell]

to be continued ....

3 Comments:

  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger piccadilly said…

    honey, that is quite a long survey... gonna read it tomorrow, okay?
    Luv ya and nice to have you back again :-)
    Oh, and btw: when I watched Depeche Mode on Telly, I thought: "Omg, just let murmel not be in *there*" ;-)

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger piccadilly said…

    yeah, april 5... scary, even though eight years earlier. still i don't think it was suicide!
    anyway, ich liebe deinen schreibstil. mine sucks compared to yours, you know?
    luv ya and can't wait to see you on saturday! "threeee lions on a shiiiirt!" ;-)

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonym said…

    Couldn't be more jealous that you saw DM an I did not. Altough I had a very funny yet strange weekend myself.
    Waiting for part 2!!!

     

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home